The American Board of General Dentistry is disappointed with the cancellation of the 2021 Oral Exam due to the disruptions related to the coronavirus pandemic. The Board realizes that was a great disappointment for the candidates. However, the health and safety of all candidates is the Board’s overall concern, and at that time, that concern could not be guaranteed. The Board encourages all those unable to challenge the exam in 2021 to apply for the 2022 exam scheduled for the end of April 2022 in Tampa, FL.
The Board was very pleased with the successful administration of the 2021 Oral Exam in Tampa, Florida. Following all CDC recommendations, a safe environment was provided for all candidates.
The Board congratulates the new Board Certified members.
2021 Board Certified List
Heather M. Brooks, DDS, ABGD
Othman A. Alkhateeb, BDS, ABGD
Collin D. Holman, DDS, ABGD
Coleman K. Christensen, DDS, ABGD
Clayte A. Fluke, DDS, ABGD
Caitlin B. Fehlinger, DDS, ABGD
Cori Mae McClatchey, DMD, ABGD
Caroline L. Mikaloff, DDS, ABGD
Ahmed M. Alshareef, BDS, ABGD
Alya Sarkhouah, BDM, ABGD
Autumn L. Becker, DMD, ABGD
Andrew W. Ellis, DMD, ABGD
Fatema R. Alkazemi BDM, ABGD
Ryan H. Allred, DDS, ABGD
Ryan R. Gustafson, DDS, ABGD
Richard D. Bartol, DDS, ABGD
John C. Hastings, DMD, ABGD
Jesse A. Thietten, DDS, ABGD
Joshua D. Gonzalez, DMD, ABGD
Michael A. Hoffman, DDS, ABGD
Michael A. Tong, DDS, ABGD
Mohammed L. AlMana, DDS, ABGD
Michael J. Browning, DMD, ABGD
Daniel D. Becker, DDS, ABGD
Greg A. Spilsbury, DDS, ABGD
Naemah A. Alkhars, BDM, MS, ABGD
Nicole M. Wirth, DMD, ABGD
Scott A. Walker, DDS, ABGD
Erik D. Anderson, DDS, ABGD
Erin S. Bailey, DDS, ABGD
Kyle W. Ragsdale, DDS, ABGD
Kevin E Kemarly, DMD, ABGD
The Board was very pleased with the successful administration of the 2021 Written Examination in March and again in July. Following all CDC recommendations, a safe environment was provided for all candidates.
The Board congratulates the new Board Eligible candidates.
2021 Board Eligible List
Mahmoud Talal M. Tallab BDS
Demarcio L. Reed, DMD
Christy I. Lee, DDS
Allen J. Davis, DMD
Job Torres-Gomez, DMD
Osama F. Alshammari, BDS
Arwa A. Alhakami, BDS
Nader A. Almubarak, DDS
Hanadi Abusharifa, BDS
Khai Q. Le, DMD
2021 Conditionally Board Eligible
Angelica Bedoya-Astrauskas, DMD
Abdulellah Almudahi, BDS
Sharon L. Aradine, DMD
Nicole M. Catarino, DDS
Jun Kyung Ko, DMD
John S. Jenista, DMD
Woosol Kim, DMD
Jessica M. DeFazio, DDS
Rondre F. Baluyot, DMD
Tina L. Gray, DDS
Migdalia Eibl Torres, DDS
Yamel A. Ramirez, DDS
David P. Burr, DMD
Phillip A. Jenkins, DMD
Stephanie N. Mora, DMD
Anthony Y. Chia, DDS
Francine D. Seeto, DDS
Catherine E. Daniel, DMD
Sandra S. Delgado Quezada, DDS
Ryan S. Kang, DMD
Joshua Schaepe, DDS
Andres M. Mendoza, DDS
Lowell D. Stanford, DDS
Kyle S. Ivey, DMD
Monique O. Merino, DDS
Tung V. Le, DMD
Seung H. Hong, DMD
Dalal S. Al Dabeeb, BDS
Bara H. Elsayed, DDS
Yousef Alhomaid, BDS
History of the Award
In 2004, the Frank “Buddy” Boris Memorial Award for Distinguished Service was created to honor Dr. Boris and recognize individuals whose service to the ABGD is truly distinguished and reflects the attributes that Buddy possessed – enthusiasm, dedication, commitment, integrity and selflessness. Dr. Frank “Buddy” Boris was a tireless servant for the American Board of General Dentistry. For many years he promoted the mission of the ABGD and freely donated his time and expertise to the advancement of the ABGD ideals.
2019 Recipient Dr. Randolph Coffey
Dr. Randolph Coffey has served the Board as a deputy examiner for the Oral Exam for multiple examinations. He served as a Board director for 6 years including serving as President in 2016-2017. Dr. Coffey has been a regular fixture promoting the ABGD at AGD Annual Meetings and continues to serve as a deputy examiner for the Oral Exam.
ABGD Contact Information
Please note the address and phone numbers of the ABGD below. You are required to send any updates on your personal information directly to the ABGD at these contacts.
American Board of General Dentistry
490 Indian Rocks Rd N., Suite A
Belleair Bluffs, FL 33770
Phone: (561) 809-5491
American Board of General Dentistry 2022 Testing Information
|Exam Type||Location||Exam Date|
|Written Exam||Tampa, Florida, Military Facility||March 4||January 16|
|Oral Exam||Tampa, FL, Embassy Suites Downtown Tampa||April 21 - April 24||February 1|
|Written Exam||AGD Meeting – Orlando, FL, Military Facility||July 29||April 6|
Do You Have a Conditional Board Eligible Status?
The American Board assesses a conditional status to candidates who have yet to complete the requirements of their entry point. Examples of incomplete Entry Point requirements include: failure to submit documentation of the completion of your residency, for Entry Point I, less than the 600 CE hours submitted for Entry Point II, or failure to submit a copy of Mastership Certificate for Entry Point III. Candidates who have a conditional Board Eligible status must complete all entry point requirements before a candidate will be allowed to apply for or sit for the Oral Examination. If you are unsure of your current status, please contact the ABGD office for more information.
ABGD Directors serve three (3) year terms, with a maximum of two (2) terms. The Director’s terms are staggered to provide stability and continuity to the Board. As Director positions become available, candidate applications submitted to the ABGD are reviewed with qualified candidates being elected by the Board. Previous service to the Board is a significant factor in the Board’s decision in the election of new directors. Service to the Board also provides interested candidates with access to Board Directors and Board functions. It is the intent of the Board to provide opportunities for interested Board Certified general dentists to assist in Board activities and to become a Director candidate.
ABGD Volunteer Opportunities
Service to the American Board
There are several areas of service activities available to those who are interested in serving the American Board of General Dentistry.
1) Volunteers for the ABGD Information Booth at the AGD Annual Meeting provide information to prospective Board candidates.
2) Deputy examiners serve to assist the ABGD Directors during the Oral Exam. The deputy examiners are selected from a pool of interested Board Certified dentists.
3) Serve as an ABGD Mentor-If you would like to serve as a mentor to candidates who are in the examination process please call or email to add your name to the ABGD Mentor Program.
For all service activities, the Board will attempt to rotate individuals to provide a broad experience in Board activities, and to provide the maximum number of Board Certified members the opportunity to assist in Board activities.
If you would like to volunteer for the ABGD, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]
Also include your CV and letter stating why you would like to volunteer for the ABGD.
NOTE: Annual registration and CE hours must be current. CV’s must be received by August 31st in order to be considered for the subsequent year.
The first notice of the Annual Dues will be sent September 1st. The 2nd notice is sent as a courtesy in December. Please be sure to have your correct contact information, including current address, e-mail and telephone number(s) on file with ABGD. The ABGD kindly requests your assistance in keeping your contact information current. Please note; Change of contact information with other dental organizations such as, ADA or AGD does not update your contact information in the ABGD database. You must notify ABGD in order to update your records accordingly.
The ABGD Board Certified Annual Dues are $150 if paid prior to December 31st, or $200 from January 1 through August 31st.
The ABGD Board Eligible and Conditionally Board Eligible Annual Dues are $50 if paid prior to December 31st or $65 from January 1st through August 31st.
Failure to pay the Annual Dues and/or failure to recertify each five (5) year period for Board Certified will result in a loss of one’s certification. Please do your part to remain in good standing.
The ABGD has an official logo readily available for use on stationery, business cards and your business Web sites. Use of the ABGD logo is currently restricted to Board Certified dentists only who are in good standing with the ABGD. In order to obtain the logo files, all interested BC dentists must sign the logo guideline documentation that outlines the framework in which the ABGD logo may be used. All logo files are sent by electronic means via e-mail. If you are interested in obtaining the official ABGD logo, please send a written request to the ABGD office.
- To change to Retired Status, submit a letter to the Board verifying you no longer earn income from the profession of dentistry.
- Candidates with the status of “Educationally Qualified” have five years and three attempts in which to pass the Written Examination.
- Once a candidate attains a Board Eligible status, that candidate then has five years in which to complete the Board Certification process.
- Candidates who are granted a Conditional Board Eligible will not be allowed to sit for the Oral Examination until they have achieved the status of Board Eligible. Conditionally Board Eligible Candidates must complete all of the requirements of their Entry Point before they are granted the status of Board Eligible. Conditionally Board Eligible candidates have five years to achieve Board Eligible status and pass the Oral Examination.
- Oral Exam applications must be submitted to the Board by February 1st of the year in which one wishes to sit for the exam.
- A PowerPoint presentation on the Standardized Treatment Planning and Rationale portion of the Oral Exam, as well as guidelines and sample cases can be found on this website under the Board Exams header, at the “Study Aids” dropdown.
- Interested in giving a presentation to a residency program about the American Board of General Dentistry and the benefits of becoming Board Certified? Contact the ABGD office.
- The ABGD Board offers an Outcomes Assessment Examination to assist AEGD/GPR program directors in assessing their residents’ progress and programs, as well as to fulfill the accreditation requirements for post-graduate programs, as revised by CODA in January 2000. If you are a Program Director and would like more information on the Outcomes Assessment Examination program, please contact the ABGD office at (561) 809-5491.
- ABGD Lapel Pins are available. Purchase an official American Board of General Dentistry Lapel pin. To order your official ABGD lapel pin, send a check for $25 or contact the ABGD office directly with your credit card information. Expect 10-14 business days for delivery.
- The ABGD Oral Examination Treatment Planning Study Guide is now available. To order your official ABGD Oral Examination Treatment Planning Study Guide, send a check for $45 or contact the ABGD office directly with your credit card information. Expect 10-14 business days for delivery.
Recertification – Questions & Answers
1) What is the Recertification requirement?
Board Certified (BC) dentists must recertify their credential every five years in order to maintain their status once they have been granted a Board Certified status by the American Board of General Dentistry (ABGD). Deadline for submission of CE hours is August 31st of the year due.
2) What is required to Recertify?
Board Certified dentists must submit 125 continuing education hours in clinical, basic science or regulatory matters related to dentistry within their five-year period.
3) Is there a fee for Recertifying?
Yes, Board Certified dentists must submit a $75 recertification fee with their continuing education hours. The recertification fee is in addition to the annual registration fee.
4) Will I be notified of my pending recertification?
Board Certified dentists will receive notification one-year prior to their pending recertification.
5) Is there a penalty for not Recertifying?
Failure to meet recertification requirements will result in a loss of Board Certified status and the revocation of one’s certificate.
6) How can I find out when I need to Recertify?
Contact the ABGD office at 561.809.5491 or e-mail us at [email protected]
Recertification – Rules and Procedures